Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Unforgettable State

We finally found it our turn to visit. We walked in the old
quiet house. We were told he was downstairs;
feeling a little nervous I looked at my sister
then we both went to see.
Grandma greeted us with a smile, energized like her life and
the care she performed. She sat on a chair
in the corner of his room never to leave
her sweet heart in his difficult state.
Hard to come into realization, we looked at superman;
us knowing that this was our invincible grandpa,
the one who took up all our memories.
Too fatigued, his granddaughter gripped his hand to the spoon
and gently lifted it to his mouth.
I sat there watching not sure what to say
or what to do. This wasn’t a visit where
we un pack our suitcases in the rooms we called;
we weren’t going to go play ping pong and
start a game of pool; this was different.
This final visit would rehearse repeatedly in our thoughts
for the rest of our lives. I held his hand looking into his
half shut eyes to find my grandpa who
portrayed so quiet. I smiled because I love him
and said “I’ll see you soon.”

1 comment:

  1. That brought tears to my eyes....It was heart breaking to finally be the one stronger than grandpa and have to help him eat. I miss him so...beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete